Thursday, August 28, 2008

我的家 My House!

Let me give you the tour . . .

It's basically just two rooms, one room being the kitchen/dining room/living room and then a bedroom with an attached bathroom. I have a massive king-size bed, two TVs (for one person!), a balcony, nice carpet in the bedroom (rare in China), Western-style bathroom with an enclosed shower (also rare in China), huge windows with a pretty view of the mountains, a relatively comfortable, new, good-looking sofa and chair, a desk, plenty of endtables/coffee tables. Thanks to Brian, I also have a refrigerator and a washing machine (although we're still figuring out how to hook up the washing machine)

I'm still getting unpacked and organized so hopefully as time goes by there will be more decorations and "homeyness." And, as always, it's hard to get an adequate view of a house in a photos, but I tried. The kitchen is still a bit lacking, but I think it will come together soon although it will always be small. But it's just me, so I can handle that.

Technically the building I live in is part of a hotel. We have a key-card that we scan rather than an actually key (Nice if you lock yourself out, as I already have. You just go to the front desk in the adjacent building and they come let you in). The apartment, especially the bedroom, feels a bit "hotel room-ish" still. Hopefully when I rearrange some furniture and get more of my stuff set out then it will feel more like a home.

I'm actually really enjoying living on my own for the first time in my life. Katie lives right across the hall with an almost identical apartment so we can each have our own place but still be right next to each other. After a lot of wondering about housing, I'm really thankful to have such a nice apartment.

If only Mengzi had an Ikea . . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your apartment! Hope your teaching goes well this year :)

TaiYang said...

Hey! Nice place!
And I noticed you changed your name! I think I know a Brit with a name like yours... ;)