Friday, February 27, 2009

Freedom Square

Last post about Taiwan. A few pictures from Zi You Guang Chang (Freedom Square) and the Chang Kai-shek Memorial.

The National Theater

The gate at Freedom Square
Chang Kai-shek's Memorial
There's a changing of the guard every hour at the CKS Memorial which people crowd in to see.
I feel like I need to do some research about the Generalissimo since he seems to have a mixed reputation and legacy depending on who you ask and where you are. But one thing about him that Katie and I liked was that his monument shows him smiling. Usually when you see a statue of someone, especially a male military leader, they're shown as being very austere and serious. CKS looked grandfatherly and approachable to me . . . like you should go sit on his lap and tell him what you wanted for Christmas (or Chinese New Year, I suppose).

Well, I think it's time I moved on from Taiwan in my blogging. Here's a link to an online album if anyone wants to see the rest of my photos--Taiwan Facebook Album.

No comments: