Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Biker Chicks!

One of my 2009 New Year's resolutions was to learn to drive* a motorcycle. Brian decided that Rachel was ready to learn to drive one too so today Rachel and I got our first lesson. I think I did pretty well for my first time (no stalling out, no wrecking, no dented trash cans), although getting used to shifting with my feet is going to take a while. I made it into third gear and around the block and up and down the road by my apartment building a few times. I have the feeling that once I get used to driving a motorcycle, it's going to be rather addicting. I prefer driving a manual car (unless I'm sitting in start-stop traffic) because you have more control of the car, rather than in an automatic where you just passively sit there and let the car do everything for you. A motorcycle is even more hands-on (and feet-on) and I know I'm going to like it. Don't worry mom, I'm sure it's completely safe learning to drive a motorcycle in China!

*Edit: I have since been informed by my dad that "The first lesson about a motorcycle is that you "ride" it. It is simply against all principles of human decency and common etymology to "drive" a bike."




Posted by Picasa

No comments: