Friday, April 25, 2008

Practical Fashion in Action

Last fall, I wrote about these funny umbrella hats that Katie and I finally managed to buy.

Since I featured the umbrella hats, I've been wanting to get a picture of somebody actually wearing one but never seemed to have a camera with me at the right time. A couple weeks ago, Katie and I were walking on Snack Street and we came across this fruit vendor who was putting his umbrella hat to good use to keep the sun off. He was more than happy to chat with us and pose for a picture.

As a side note, the fruit he's selling is called yòu zi 柚子. I'm told the English word for this fruit is pomelo but I'd never seen it or tried it before coming to China and I'm so used to calling it yòu zi now that pomelo seems strange. It's basically a cross between a grapefruit and an orange. I quite enjoy yòu zi now, especially the variety that's available in the fall. They're locally grown around Yichang so they're plentiful and cheap when they're in season. My mom did find yòu zi at Meijer at home. She bought one to try in my honor.

No comments: