Thursday, April 24, 2008

我就喜欢

Tonight I was at McDonalds getting some ice cream. I decided I wanted a cup of coffee too. Here's how the conversation went (in Chinese):

Kim: I'd like a cup of coffee, too.

McD worker: Hot coffee?

Kim: Oh, I didn't know you had iced coffee too.

McD worker: We don't have iced coffee. But we have iced tea.

Kim: Um, ok. I'd like my coffee to be hot then.

If you don't have iced coffee then it doesn't make much sense to ask me if I want my coffee hot, does it? I guess the minimum intelligence requirement for McDonalds workers is the same worldwide.

It did make me miss those iced coffees that McDonalds was giving away free on Mondays when I was in the States last summer. Here in China we have Mocha Sundaes though which are really good.

Also, our latest McDonalds promotion is Ma La McNuggets which translates to Numb and Spicy Nuggets. In China, "numb" is a taste, just like sour, salty, sweet, etc. Chinese people quite enjoy "ma" food . . . especially numb and spicy together. I guess this is a good marketing example of making your product locally adaptable. I don't think Numb and Spicy McNuggets would go over so well in the USA. "Numb Nuggets" . . . what a horrible sounding phrase.

The current pie selections are banana or red bean.

If you don't want fries with your value meal, you have the option of substituting a cup of corn.

Our McDonalds have just started serving Ham and Egg hotpockets for breakfast.

Oh, the title of this post is the McDonalds "I'm Lovin' It" slogan in Chinese. Right now, the posters in McDonalds all feature Chinese Olympic athletes with the words 我就喜欢中国赢 . . . "I'm Lovin' It, China Wins."

1 comment:

GS Rider said...

At least he did not ask if you want fries to go with your coffee.
In Chinese, we call it "fei4 hua4" - something like nonsense with an attitude.
Or may be the guy just wanted to say a few more words to a pretty lady.