Sunday, December 9, 2007

Practical Fashion

I have to share one of my most prized China purchases. For four years, I’ve been trying to figure out how to get one of these “umbrella hats.” When it rains here in Yichang or when the sun is strong, I often see the street sweepers wearing these umbrella hats so that they can still have their hands free to work. I’ve always thought they were hysterical but have looked and looked and never been able to find where to buy them. A few weeks ago, Katie and I were walking in the city and saw a lady on a bike wearing one. We decided to just walk up to her and ask her where she got the umbrella hat. I was ready to just ask her if I could buy her hat right then! Well, she was sweet, had a good sense of humor, and was happy to talk to some foreign girls in Chinese. She told us that her work provided the hat for her (she was a street sweeper just getting off work), but she knew a shop that sold them and she offered to just take us there. So we went to a fishing/camping store and, sure enough, there they were . . . and for only 8 yuan (just a little more than a dollar)! I haven’t actually worn it out while it’s raining, but Katie and I plan to sometime just to see what kind of reaction we get. I wonder if these could ever catch on. I mean, they are practical . . . you can have your hands free and still be dry. Somehow I don't see them becoming the next fashion trend though. But then, I never thought people would be excited to be wearing bowling shoes or bubble dresses. I just realized that this great find is in keeping with my 2007 New Year's Resolution to buy and wear more hats and become a "hat person"!



1 comment: