Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Text Messages

Text messaging is so much more prevalent here in China than in America and with my students sometimes it's the easiest and cheapest way to communicate. When it comes to a second language, phone calls can often be difficult or confusing. Text messaging avoids having to make small talk and let's the students look at what you said instead of just hearing it. On average, I'd say I send and/or receive 15 - 20 text messages a day.



On holidays, my students are always really sweet and want to say "Happy . . . " whatever holiday it is. I knew Christmas would be overwhelming when it came to the phone. I was right. They started on Christmas Eve and from about noon on Christmas Eve until about 9:00 p.m. Christmas Day, I kept my phone on silent otherwise I would have gone insane. My inbox holds 40 messages and by Christmas morning my phone was flashing a message that said: "No room for incoming messages!" I think I received about 50 - 60 text messages, maybe more. Lots of students told me to "Marry Christmas" and so if I ever come across some guy named Christmas, I'll keep that in mind. I also had a message that said, "Merry Christmas. Hope this year you will be nicer." My students often say things like that, for example, "I wish you were more beautiful." They mean it is as a compliment, but I finally pointed out in class one day that it doesn't always come across so well.

I decided not to write back to everyone but have been making group thank-yous in class for all the thoughtful text messages.

No comments: