Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Two Boxes in Two Days!

Yesterday I got a package from Beth!! So happy! Beth sent me a necklace she made herself which was green for St. Patrick's Day and I got the package exactly on St. Patrick's Day--perfect timing. I wore my new green necklace last night to our St. Pat's McGreen O'Party at the Rice's house! Beth also sent me a box of peppermint Peeps--so funny (long story) :) And, I got letters from all of Beth's 4th grade ESL students that she teaches in Nashville, TN. The letters are super sweet and cute. I think I'm going to try to have some of my students write back to these kids (I teach a practical writing class so I think that sounds like a perfect project!). Thanks so much for thinking about me Beth!

Then today, Katie picked up a package for me while she was in the International Affairs Office. Two packages in two days, quite exciting! Today's box was from Ruby who's my church grandma. She's one of the most thoughtful people I know and I was surprised and happy to see a box from her. When I opened the box I found a fall candle, some candied pecans in a pumpkin bag, and a birthday card! My birthday is in November!! I looked more closely at the label on the box and saw that Ruby had sent me the box at the end of October! What in the world. It took more than 5 months to get here?! Seriously sometimes I think the mail in Mengzi must be some of the slowest in the world! I feel like we still use the Pony Express here. But, ironically, the last box I got from my parents arrived in only about 9 days which is quite speedy. I don't get it. I wonder if Ruby's box was just sitting somewhere on campus all this time and either no one knew who to give it too or else they just didn't bother to contact me to tell me I had a package. So even though the pecans are sadly too old to enjoy, I'm enjoying my scented candle right now and am still happy to get the package even though it wins the prize for my most delayed box ever.

*As a side note, last January while in India, Katie, Beth, Brad and I sent a postcard to Amy. It arrived in Yichang over ONE YEAR later, just a few days after Amy had left Yichang to return to America! I don't know exactly how, but I did hear that Amy's postcard finally made it to her in America just a few days ago! :) Seriously, where was it all this time?! I wonder if the problem was with the Indian Postal system or with China Post?

No comments: