Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Recession-Proof Plan

Every day, I read several news sites and China-related blogs (gotta love Google Reader). Today I read this blog post: Chinese lessons - recession-proof?

The blog post talks about a man named Ken Carroll who is one of the people behind Chinesepod.com. Chinesepod is absolutely one of the best ways to study Chinese. I love it. I subscribe to and listen to their podcasts as soon as they're put out. They are practical and often very humorous and a painless way to improve your Chinese (no, they're not paying me for this). Anyways, that's not exactly the point of this post, but if you want to start studying Chinese, I recommend Chinesepod.com

Ok, the above mentioned blog article goes on to say this:
Investment analysts think education in China could prove to be a recession-proof business. Education in general seems to be a smart way to go during the great recession, with many people returning to school due to job scarcity. Teaching Chinese is positively brilliant, because the number of customers willing to spend money on it is growing constantly.

I sometimes wonder what the economy is going to mean for me as I return home, plan to start graduate school, and then eventually look for a job that's hopefully China-related within the next few years. At least this blog seems to think I'm on the right track. I wouldn't say for sure that I want to be a Chinese teacher, but giving beginner Chinese lessons isn't something I would rule out as a possible job opportunity for myself in the future (even if it's just a part-time job). Nice to know that someone thinks that teaching Chinese and knowing Chinese are useful skills that won't be affected by a depressed global economy. Sometimes I get a little annoyed at myself that I don't know exactly what I want to do, but maybe I'm ahead of the times with an recession-proof plan and just didn't realize it.

No comments: