Saturday, January 31, 2009

Visitors in Mengzi

I'm on vacation. Campus is deserted. Katie, Dave, and I feel like we're the only living souls on the entire campus. All the campus restaurants and shops are closed up, so we've been having to bulk shop in town and do a lot more of our own cooking rather than eating out. Thank goodness for our bikes, otherwise there would be no way for us to get into town a lot of times. I'm trying to muster up all the self-discipline I have and still be productive since I have so much free time for a few weeks. The past few years during the winter break, I've always traveled somewhere. Last year it was a slightly over-eager month-long trip to India. This year, due to money and logistics (not due to a lack of time), Katie and I decided against a big excursion somewhere. I've decided that while I still love to travel and would go literally anywhere, I've about had my share of extreme budget traveling (staying in hostels, taking the cheapest forms of transportation, etc.). I think the next big trip I do, I'd at least like to able to stay in a real hotel and fly there instead of camping out in a hut (like we did in India) or taking infinitely long, uncomfortable buses and trains to save money.

Anyways, with all that in mind, instead of traveling, Katie and I have been hosting guests here in Mengzi which is a fun change. First, we had Mary Beth and Jennifer come through. They're friends that live in Yidu, near Yichang, and they wanted to travel down here for some warmer weather. Then Katie had a friend from her hometown and home fellowship come visit. Natalie teaches in China and wanted to do some traveling in Yunnan province so she spent a few days with us. Then, this past week, I had three friends make a stop in Mengzi. Abigail Yoder, who I met this past summer through my Aunt Lisa's family, teaches in the extreme far north part of China. Her sister, Karina, and a friend were coming for a visit, so on their way to Taiwan, they made a week stop in my province and made a quick trip down to Vietnam. The Rices have also had guests come through and have more friends coming in about a week. Anyone else want to come visit?! Anyone's welcome!

While Abigail, Karina, and Susanna were here, we tried to take a group photo at the Rice's house. As always, we have a ton of fun and always end up laughing till it hurts when we're all together.

Victoria's checking out her bicep in this photo :)
Takes a lot of work to get 12 people in one photo!
Rachel obviously has no idea where she's supposed to be!
Finally got everyone in one shot!
Silly pose!

No comments: