Saturday, January 17, 2009

Chinglish Signs in Xi Shuang Ban Na

Some of the signs in the Elephant Nature Preserve were rather amusing.


The Chinese on this one says "Garbage has a home I can/will send it to. You, me, him (way of expressing "everyone") protect the environment." I love it that "garbage" got translated "refuse" but it comes across as /ri-fyooz/ not /ref-yoos/ in the sign :)

This one should say "We only have one earth. Please take care of the forests."
Translation for this one should be "Wild elephants live here so pay attention and be safe."
And this is just funny . . .

1 comment:

My Middle Age Moments said...

Kim:
I met your sister Kara at her fellowship. Their fellowship donates to our work. We live in china as well. I have been reading your blog for quite a while since I stumbled onto it. Mindy Jo was in our city for the last year or so. Just thought I would say HI and Kara and I realized the "small world" of it when we met. :)

FWIW blogspot is not blocked to us where we are so I have been able to get on blogspot blogs. I have been looking for a proxy that does work for me...which do you use?

Carol