Monday, March 31, 2008

Beautiful Spirit

One day last week, I was on my way to meet a friend for lunch and I happened to run into one of my former students who I don't see very often anymore. We said hi and talked about her classes for a few minutes. My student then complimented me and told me I looked good that day. I started laughing a little because I had just come from the gym and was still wearing my gym clothes and I couldn't have possibly looked (or smelled) so great. When I told my student that she said, "No, I mean I think you have a beautiful spirit." At first, I thought it was a slightly strange thing to say and kind of dismissed it as another second-language, lost-in-translation moment. But later I thought about it and decided that it's actually one of the nicest things someone could say to me. I'd much rather have someone comment on my attitude than my appearance. I hope my spirit is a beautiful reflection of the Spirit in me. I hope that that's what people notice about me.

No comments: