Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Plastic Bag Ban

As of June 1, China is supposedly enforcing a policy to reduce the number of plastic bags.

This informative article says that China uses 3 billion plastic bags every day!

Grocery stores and other shops are supposed to charge for bags to encourage shoppers to bring their own bags. The biggest problem seems to be the small shops, road side stands, and market stalls that use tiny flimsy plastic bags to put fruit, veggies and snacks in. The bags are too small to use again and tear easily that they end up being discarded immediately.

I guess the question now is how well the new policy will be enforced.

I did notice one of the grocery stores I shop at selling reusable canvas bags for a few yuan. I guess I should invest in one for my future trips to the store.

No comments: