Tuesday, June 3, 2008

2,008 Pianos Follow-up

So, I saw some newspaper pictures about the performance at the Three Gorges Dam to welcome the torch. There were two pianos. Only two. Not 2,008. My friend Clark (who really seems to know everything and everyone in Yichang) said that there were two famous pianist, one Chinese and one foreign, who played a piano concert at the dam. But there definitely weren't 2,008 pianos. So the moral of the story is that even "official" websites and newspaper articles are not immune from either translation errors or typos, whatever that was.

I also heard that Katie, Mary Beth, Mindy, and I made it into one of the Yichang newspapers but I'm not sure which one. I'm going to try to get a copy of it!

Edit: Today one of my students said she heard there were 1,000 pianos at the Three Gorges Dam.

No comments: