Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Back to Blogging

Wow . . . I've really gotten behind on my blog! "So much time, so little to do . . . wait . . . strike that, reverse it." (to quote Willy Wonka)

Two weeks ago I listened to about 150 oral exams. I spend the weekend grading, entering numbers into the computer, and carefully filling in numbers in hundreds of little boxes on the school's grading forms. As of last Monday, grades were finished!

On Monday afternoon of last week I took a train up to Beijing. Some friends from back home, Joanna and Becky Straub, were visiting China for a few days and I decided to go up to Beijing to see them and show them around. Joanna teaches in Korea and Becky (her mom) decided to visit her in Korea and then they both wanted a chance to see China and the Great Wall. We had a good time together and, amazingly, the "China Variable" was kept to a minimum. I think I'm becoming a pretty good tour guide in Beijing. If anyone else wants to come visit, just let me know! More pictures to follow . . .

Katie and I had to ship our passports and other documents to our new city of Mengzi to get our new residence permits processed. We've (especially Katie since I was up in Beijing) been running around getting the right documents, stamps, photos, permits, etc. and trying to email, call, and message our Foreign Affairs Coordinator in Mengzi and work with our FAO here in Yichang. Please pray that we get our passports shipped back to us by next Monday. We fly to Beijing next Tuesday and we HAVE to have our passports then!! I'm nervous, but it's out of my hands.

This week Katie and I are packing and saying goodbye and running around doing all those little things that just keep coming up when you're trying to leave town. Yesterday I took all the things off the walls in the apartments as a way to start packing. I figured I needed some reminded that, yes, I am moving so I need to get moving. It's a little sad to take down all the memories, but I'm excited about the next phase.

Other things I hope to blog about soon . . . Amy's Indian birthday party, getting our favorite restaurant to give us a cooking lesson in our house, Katie and I throwing our own going away open house, and other happenings.

2 comments:

GS Rider said...

I don't remember seeing those "exotic" food/snacks on Beijing's streets when I was growing up there. The only things I would buy and eat in streets were lamb skewers by those people from Xinjiang (Chinese Turkestan) and baked yam (often in a oven made from 50-gallon barrel). But that was almost 20 years ago before I left Beijing. I went back three times visiting my parents and travel to other places. Each time I had tried different (new to me) food, but there are things that I wouldn't try. The sound of "starfish in Beijing street" alone would scare me off already. You are definitely one brave "Foreign Expert".

GS Rider said...

I am new to this blog thing. I meant to comment on your "Beijing Food Market" piece, but somehow ended up here.