Thursday, May 15, 2008

Another Chinese Poem

After learning the poem 锄禾 (Chú Hú), my student Shine, who's taken a particular interest in helping me with my Chinese and my knowledge of Chinese history and literature, gave me another poem. This poem is from 李白 Lǐ Bái, who is one of the greatest poets in all of Chinese literary history.

静夜思 Jìng Yè Sī

床前明月光 Chuáng qián míng yuè guāng
疑是地上霜 Yí shì dì shàng shuāng
举头望明月 Jǔ tóu wàng míng yuè
低头思故乡 Dī tóu sī gù xiāng


Quiet Night Thoughts

Before my bed,
There is bright-lit moonlight.
So that it seems
Like frost on the ground.

Lifting my head,
I watch the bright moon.
Lowering my head,
I dream that I am home.


Shine wanted to introduce this poem to me since I'm far from home and my family. The poem suggests the idea that no matter where you are, every one is looking up at the same moon. It made me think of Fifel the mouse singing "Somewhere Out There" in An American Tale which isn't quite of the same literary caliber, but I do like the poem and I can feel my Chinese cultural and literary horizons broadening as I figuratively gaze up at the bright moon.

No comments: