Monday, May 12, 2008

All Shook Up

A few weeks ago, Dad and Mom told me they'd felt an earthquake at home in Indiana. I remember saying to them that I wished I could experience an earthquake sometime (just the shaking, not the destruction or danger). Today I got my wish. I think nearly the entire country of China felt it. I was at home with Katie and of our students just sitting on the couch in front of the window. My first thought was "Wow, the wind is really strong." Katie thought a rat was under her chair for a second. Then we noticed the living room light fixture swaying precariously (I don't think that fixture will survive much more shaking). What we felt in Yichang wasn't strong enough to do any damage; however, in Sichuan province (to the west a few hundred miles) there are hundreds dead, thousands injured, and many people still trapped under collapsed buildings.

I heard from several other teachers who were having class that once the students realized what was happening, they all immediately ran out of the classroom which effectively just cancelled all afternoon classes. Too bad I didn't get to have a class cancelled due to the earthquake. Considering what I've heard and seen regarding the structural integrity of Chinese buildings, I guess running outside should have been my first thought too. Actually my biggest fear wouldn't be the collapsing buildings or the resulting fires if a bigger earthquake were to ever be centered in Yichang--my biggest fear would be the tsunami that would come if the Three Gorges Dam ever broke.

It's definitely been the talk of the day. I now know the Chinese word for earthquake (地震 di zhen) which I didn't know before today.

No comments: