Friday, January 4, 2008

"Wow. Thanks. You Really Shouldn't Have . . . "

One cultural difference that's immediately obvious when you live in China is the different opinions about what makes a good gift. Birthdays, holidays, recovering from an illness . . . it doesn't matter the occasion, American and Chinese people will have very different ideas about what presents to give. In all honesty, most of the presents I receive from Chinese people leave me either baffled, cringing, or laughing. I'm going to chalk it up to a cultural rift rather than criticize them for it. They certainly mean well and have good intentions, especially my students who (as is true of students the world over) don't have a lot of extra money. It is, after all, the thought that counts.


Here is a sampling of some of the gifts that Katie and I received this year from Chinese friends and students.


This is a "fruit fork tree." It was all in pieces and I didn't know what it was or how it went together when I opened it. Aubree figured it out. The little green "leaves" are actually tiny forks which are used to serve pieces of fruit to guests. I guess you put the "tree" out as a center piece and then pull out a "leaf" when you want a bite of fruit. Personally, I'd rather just use toothpicks and not have to wash tiny forks, but it is an interesting idea.

Katie got this picture frame which she actually likes (Katie's alter ego is Hello Kitty). It is still rather funny. It's a pink plastic frame that's shaped like Hello Kitty's head. The glass slides in behind it. You can take out Hello Kitty's face and put your own picture in or just leave Hello Kitty in it.
This year I received this interesting figurine and snow globe. I can't figure out what's in the snow globe. A shell maybe?? The figurine has a plant, some sand, and scrolls in it (haha, I'm still figuring the figurine, too).
I got this stocking hat from a friend. I liked the colors and receiving a new hat fit in nicely with my 2007 Hat Resolution (see previous post); however, it's so tall! It stands out about 6-8 inches from my head and has a huge bobble on top.

Two pairs of gloves from students. The one says "I like style glove!" with a paper face of a girl with "hair" glued to it. The other pair of gloves has a large bunny head (like a pillow) attached to each glove.

Here we have Katie and "Violence Bear" (a direct translation). This present was picked out for her in Hong Kong by a student. It's a plastic bear dressed as Spider Man with movable arms and legs. Let's say I'm shopping in Hong Kong and I see this toy on a shelf. My first thought would be, "Perfect! I'll buy that for my 26 year-old, female, American teacher." Umm, no. We have no idea why Katie got Violence Bear or what she's supposed to do with it. I've known her for four years and never known her to be violent (except before the Bears/Colts Superbowl).

I actually got this for my birthday. It's a scrunchy (yes, a scrunchy . . . haven't worn one since junior high) with a faux diamond broach attached to it. The picture is deceiving because the thing is massive and so gaudy! I never wear things like that in my hair and thought it was funny that the person that gave it to me seemed to think it was so fitting for me.


This was our Christmas present from the Foreign Language College. A crystal rooster attached to a crystal base . . . because I was born in the year of the rooster. The thing is scary. And it is really heavy. Katie and I both got one. In a way, I can see the rationale behind this . . . something Chinese and specific to the year we were born. But, think about the practicality of this gift. This was given to two foreign teachers who plan to pack all of their belonging and move home at the end of the year. It's heavy. It's extremely fragile. It's oddly shaped making it hard to wrap or pack. Exactly the kind of thing I want to try to carry home in my suitcase. One of the roosters already broke off its base.
Ahhhh, the tea sets. Your birthday or holiday is not complete unless you receive a set of cups. One of these sets was from my birthday but three of them were given to me and Katie for Christmas. I already had two in the house from previous birthdays/holidays. And, I've already recycled at least two maybe three other tea sets that I previously received. Please notice the cups that have pigs painted on them and ears on the lids. The students know I love coffee so they're probably just trying to pick something they think would be fun and useful for me. But, group mentality strikes again and they ALL end up giving me tea cup sets.
Some of Katie's students gave her this wooden boat. Yeah, we don't know what to do with it either.

Like I said, it's the thought that counts. Our Chinese friends probably feel the same way about the gifts we pick out for them.
By the way, "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" is a good way to deal with Chinese gifts. Otherwise your house will become overrun.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Violence Bear, now that's funny, especially after having been up all night flying around the country!