Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Meng Zi Orphanage

Last year, when Katie and I visited the Rices, we were able to spend some time at the orphanage in Meng Zi. When we got to the Rices house this year, we were excited to be able to go back to the orphanage. Several of the babies and toddlers that we played with last year have been adopted and Victoria has been able to be in touch with the adoptive parents. It's so amazing to see how the lives of those orphans were revolutionized by adoption. From a run-down, poor orphanage in southern China to a comfortable life in America with closets full of clothes and shoes and loving parents. I think this is such a wonderful picture of what our true Father does for us. Lots of the children we played with last year are still there and they seem to have quite a few more babies there now than they did when we were there before. Brian and Victoria told us that their family planned to go to the orphanage on Friday and help decorate a Christmas tree for the kids. Brian's mom had sent boxes of hand-made toys and ornaments for us to pass out and use at the orphanage. What a fun and rewarding experience.


Victoria and the orphanage director hang ornaments on the tree.

Helping one of the girls hang up an ornament.

Katie helping a little boy. This boy is blind so we had to help him "see" the tree and ornaments by feeling them.

Yeah for a Christmas tree!

This tiny little baby is only a few weeks old. When she arrived at the orphanage she had red splotches on her face which is probably why she was abandoned. The splotches have since cleared up.
Esther holding the tiny baby.
My hand next to the baby's tiny feet and legs.
I loved this chubby little baby! I think she was a girl but not actually sure!
This little girl was abandoned as a baby then put in foster care then abandoned by her foster parents. She's three years old and bit naughty but so cute!
Colin, a Canadian student studying Chinese at the university Brian teaches at, giving a hand-made toy to one of the babies.Last year, Katie and I were at the orphanage when the Rices helped this girl get a wheel chair. It was neat to see her a year later out and about being pushed by one of the nursing home residents that are at the same location as the orphanage.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! My name is Shannon Stone. My husband Damon and I just got a referral of a 17 month old little girl who is in the Mengzi orphanage. You may get this request a lot, I don't know, but seeing that you were there in November, means you probably would have seen our daughter! You are the only person I know of in the world who has probably seen her, so I thought I'd find out if you have any info to share or any other photos that aren't posted here. I could email you privately and give send you the 3 pictures we have of her to see if she looks familiar at all. We'd love to see any other pictures we could get our hands on! :) My email is sstone@bcclark.com.

Thank you! Shannon